There are far too many missing persons cases throughout the world. This case caught our eye because it is close to home, has a number of very strange twists and turns and has recently been in the news again. It is still unresolved and this young woman is still missing with a number of wild theories about what actually happened to her. As you read more about Maura Murray, consider the points that we felt made this worth highlighting:
- Maura is a young, bright nursing student in her junior year.
- Recent criminal history – credit card fraud. Was placed on probation for 3 months to fall off record if no other problems.
- She did not indicate to anyone that she was unhappy with her life, in fact, there are reports from family that she and her boyfriend were engaged
- Her room was packed up as if she was leaving
- Police fought the family, refusing to release investigation records, citing that the release of these records would be harmful to the investigation. See the link below for documents
- In spite of indications that she may have simply run away, the police have continued to characterize her disappearance as a ‘criminal investigation’
- Her car was found in a snowbank – a rag was stuffed in the tail pipe (see the 911 call log for details).
- No arrest has been made but authorities continue to refer to this case as a criminal case and most probably a “homicide”.
We will update this case as more information comes to light. Here are some helpful links for those of you who wish to learn more.
Documents here: Documents
Excellent resource of theories: Good source for comprehensive theories
2006 Follow-up – Parents lose lawsuit in request for information from police.