October 2018 Update:
The case of Maura Murray continues to perplex and sadden. There are now many theories about what may have happened to Maura on that cold night back in 2004. Here are some of the most widely discussed ones:
- New Life Theory: Maura staged her own disappearance and created a new life for herself.
- Tandem Driver Theory: Maura was driving one car while another driver ahead of her. After the accident, the other driver circled back and picked Maura up.
- Frozen Woods Theory: Maura, not wanting to be present when the police arrived for fear of a DWI, wandered off into the woods. She got lost, disoriented, and froze to death.
- Foul Play Theory: Maura was taken by a stranger who drove along immediately after her accident.
Over the past few months, there has been some movement on the Maura Murray case. Believing there to be evidence of foul play near the crash site, private searches have begun using ground penetrating tools. Soil samples have been sent to test for human remains. To date, there have been no published results.
As always, we will continue to update with anything significant.
If you know anything about Maura’s disappearance, please contact law enforcement.
As we continue to follow the disappearance of Maura Murray, who vanished in 2004 from New Hampshire, we see that a couple of interesting things have surfaced.
First, the case was followed extensively and documented heavily by a writer named James Renner. He wrote a book as well as a blog detailing his self proclaimed “addiction” to this case. That blog has now been removed. Back in May he had posted that due to the nasty comments he and his family had received over the years regarding his work on this case, it was time to remove the blog entirely. Simply blocking posts was not enough. His theory had evolved to a point where he believed that Maura was alive and had fled to live out her life elsewhere, for reasons of her own or died shortly after.
Secondly, there was a panel discussion during this year’s CrimeCon which featured a podcast and the blog to showcase the work that each have been doing to bring conclusion to this case. It appears there will be more activity to the case in the form of some live documentaries in Somerville, Ma beginning June 24, 2018. You can learn more at the link here: http://www.mauramurraydoc.com
Finally, the Maura’s boyfriend at the time of her disappearance was recently fired from his job and has been charged with a number of sexual assaults against women. There were a number of questions regarding his possible involvement into her disappearance at the time. This certainly is an interesting turn in the case.
If you know anything about her disappearance, please contact law enforcement.
There are far too many missing persons cases throughout the world. This case caught our eye because it is close to home, has a number of very strange twists and turns and has recently been in the news again. It is still unresolved and this young woman is still missing with a number of wild theories about what actually happened to her. As you read more about Maura Murray, consider the points that we felt made this worth highlighting:
- Maura is a young, bright nursing student in her junior year.
- Recent criminal history – credit card fraud. Was placed on probation for 3 months to fall off record if no other problems.
- She did not indicate to anyone that she was unhappy with her life, in fact, there are reports from family that she and her boyfriend were engaged
- Her room was packed up as if she was leaving
- Police fought the family, refusing to release investigation records, citing that the release of these records would be harmful to the investigation.
- In spite of indications that she may have simply run away, the police have continued to characterize her disappearance as a ‘criminal investigation’
- Her car was found in a snowbank – a rag was stuffed in the tail pipe (see the 911 call log for details).
- No arrest has been made but authorities continue to refer to this case as a criminal case and most probably a “homicide”.
We will update this case as more information comes to light.
Excellent resource of theories: Good source for comprehensive theories