Do I need an attorney?

You do not have to hire an attorney for your case. However, if you do not, you are expected to know the procedure and law in the Court and are held to the decisions that you make in settlement. It is important for you to understand that you and your spouse cannot use one attorney to represent you both in the divorce because even if you are in agreement, you have conflicting interests.

If I am not listed on the birth certificate can I still file for visitation?

Yes. If you are not listed on the birth certificate, you can sign a voluntary acknowledgement of parenthood form to establish paternity. Where either of you disagree that you are the father, you can take a genetic marker test.

When my daughter was born, I was married but was also involved in a relationship outside my marriage. Is either man assumed to be the father?

In cases where the mother was married at the time the child was born, or that she was married within three hundred days before the birth of the child, the mother’s husband is assumed the father of the child.