Can I pay support directly to my children instead of to the other parent?

No.  Even when children are older (ie college age), support is always paid to the other parent and not directly to the children.  That parent is then responsible to assist the child financially using, in part, the child support.  The Court seeks to make support an issue between parents and keep the children shielded from this issue.